Saturday, February 4, 2012

01.31-02.05 - NYC Carrier Fair, Photronics

Another week just went away. The first and best thing I have to tell you is that my car is repaired!!! The mechanic changed the hose on the coolant system. And they fixed my DC, which is the cigarette lighter, so now i can smoke in my car:) Nooo, i can use my GPS.
I still dont have my transportation book and managing people book...
There are two bigger things happened to me during this week.

1. Photronics
Wednesday was my first working day. I went to Brookfield, which is 50 miles away and met with my HR person. I got some papers and had to go to take my drug test. First I tried to do it in Bethel, that is 10 minutes from the Photronics, but there they were not able to take the test (they do just blood test). My test quote was for urine test. Then I went to Danbury, that is another 10 minutes from Bethel and there I took the test. I would bet that you think it was easy to do it. But, it is not!:) You get a little cup and you have to produce a sample between 30 and 60 ml. But you cannot pee at the beginning because that sample would not be appropriate (dont ask why), so you have to stop it before the very end and target into the little cup and open the tap again. I almost miscalculated this action, but finally i hit the limit. Huhh:D Before the action you have to wash your hand, during the action you have to pee into the toilette, which is filled with a special blue liquid and you cannot flash when you finished. Your genitalia (that says the official instruction)  mustn't touch the little cup. After you did the sample you cannot wash your hand until you give it to the lab staff. Basically that is it. :)
Then i went back to the headquarter and met with my supervisors, one of them is the director of supply chain and the other is the VP Supply Chain. They are nice persons. I will have two mentors who I work with. Mostly I will work on projects. Lots of different projects are going on right now. Each of them is exciting. The atmosphere is great and the feeling that I will work at the world leader of photomask producer is awesome! I cannot tell you more about my job right now, but I will talk about it later.

2. QU Carrier Fair
Friday was the NY Carrier Fair organized by QU. At 6:15AM we got on the bus headed towards NY City. After three hours travelling we arrived. The event was placed at 140 Broadway, YMCA Retirement Found building on the 28th floor. We were around 37, mostly seniors with finance, accounting and marketing majors and three MBA students. Iva, she is a Bulgarian MBA student with Health Care Management specialization, Lisanne, her girlfriend and organizer and me from Tarcal.:)
I want to describe this event seriously but before i start to do so, i got to tell you the biggest motivation factor was a cheap trip to NY and free food. I know it is sad, but i didnt know much about this, until I was there. That is why I didnt prepare much to show my best face. I just carried some business cards with me and printed some resumes (just in case). I was not aware of the big opportunity of it. Most of the time i made fun on everything, just looked around and looked at the guys who were there and ate a lot.
That was the agenda:
9-10am          Alumni Panel
       Panelists:       1. Chris Rich '10 - Goldman Sachs (mergers and acquisitions)
                            2. Tracy Annunziato '11 - NBC Universal
                            3. Megan Girard '07 - LinkedIn
                            4. Yury Marasanov '07 - ING Capital
                            5. Brittney Castine '07 - VML
10-10:15        Break - group by major (it means that you decided where to stay, whether at Finance panel or Marketing panel)
10:15-11:15   Session 1
                         Marketing, Advertising
                         ----------------------------
                         International Business and Management    Scott Pollak '96 - Citigroup
                         Accounting
                         Finance                                                    Ric Wallace - Morgan Stanley
11:15-11:30    Break
11:30-12:20    Session 2
                         Marketing, Advertising
                         ----------------------------
                         International Business and Management    Jessie Russel '06 - American Express
                         Accounting                                               Luke Garritori '09 - Deloitte after MBA
                         Finance                                                    Thomas Cucci '09 - VIP Services
                                                                                         Brian Tahan '94 - Credit Suisse
Lunch!
12:30-1:00      Networking and Your Pitch
1:00-1:15        Developing Your Pitch
1:15-2:00        Informal Networking
                         Practice your Pitch and receive a verbal critique on your networking skills
2:00-2:30        Debrief - What worked and what didn't

GO home and arrival at 6:30 to QU.

Some comments on this event. I realized early that these firms do not fit perfectly and do not hire immigrants for any position. So I just wanted to hear something the financial sector of the City, what is going on. Chris from Goldman told us that he usually works from 80 to 110 hours a week!!!!! What do you thin about it? He said that is is worth it. OK. The others from this sector told us that this is a really challenging, ever-changing sector and job. They usually start their they between 4:00AM and 5:00AM. And go to bed (not go home) between 11:00PM and 12:00PM. Even they are at home, but they are online, reading, learning, doing some phone calls. They make tons of money, but is it really worth it? They said that is a personal life decision whether you want it or not. I don't know that i could do it. I guess not...So i was happy that i chose something better. The lunch was great! You cannot imagine how delicious were those wrappers and sandwiches!
After the lunch was my time! I learnt a new word: pitch (how to sell yourself in 30 seconds/brief introduction). We had to practice as well so i didnt have choice, i did it. I met some really valuable people, some entrepreneurs, even this is a rare specious but still there are some everywhere, if you are persistent, you will find them! When you present your pitch, you have to seem confident and interesting. But after your turn (30-60 seconds) follow the 80:20 rule. Listen to the other 80% of the whole conversation, let the other person to speak! And tell him/her something interesting about you in the 20% of the time that maintain the interest.

And here are some pictures:
Farewell lunch with Szasza (i cooked:)

My first working day at Photronics

Before the end of the Carrier Fair (i forgot to use my camera earlier)

View from the 28th Floor (NY, Manhattan, 140 Broadway, YMCA Retirement Found)








I apologize for this silly video!

Before

After

:)


No comments:

Post a Comment